Thursday, August 19, 2010

Questions V-VIII

 Chapter V: What is Screwtape’s idea on the best way for humans to die?  Why?  
He thinks the best way for humans to die is in a nursing home surrounded by people who lie. Screwtape thinks this because he is a creature of deceit and he wants us to be unprepared for death because we are being lied to about it.

Chapter VI: How does “...malice thus becomes wholly real and the benevolence largely imaginary” (Lewis, 28)?  How does this apply to your life?  
That occurs when virtues become fantasy as opposed to being habit and malice moves in and becomes habit.  This is applies to my life because it shows me that I need to put my virtues into practice so that they become habit. Specifically, I need to learn to love and be patient when I don't feel like like so that it can become easier.

Chapter VII:  How do you picture the devil?  What does this chapter challenge you about regarding the spiritual warfare over your soul?
I am not exactly sure how exactly I see the devil. The first thing that does come to mind is the generic devil, a man in a red costume, with little horns, and a pitch fork. I'm pretty sure he doesn't look that, but I do think he looks absolutely terrifying. This chapter challenges me to be careful of things that become important to me.I think that is the best way to word what I am talking about. For example, I tend to make following rules really important, but loose sight of the reason that I am following rules and do it because I have to. I have to keep in mind that I am obeying rules because I want to honor God and be an example to others.

Chapter VIII: What is the “law of Undulation” (Lewis, 37)?  Give an example of this in your life.  
The "law of Undulation" is the pattern that occurs throughout a person's life in almost every aspect of it. Its is when we start off excited by something, it fades, and the process repeats itself, continuously. An example in my life is during Spiritual Emphasis Week. During the week, I am focused on and excited about God.  After a few weeks it kind of fades and I'm not as excited as I was before. Then when the next S.E.W. comes around, the same thing happens.

Chapter VIII: “Our cause is never more in danger, than when a human, no longer desiring, but intending, to do our Enemy's will, looks round upon a universe from which every trace of Him seems to have vanished, and asks why he has been forsaken, and still obeys. (Lewis 40).  What are your thoughts on this?  
I think that being able to still do God's will, even when things are looking bad, is what all Christians should desire. I hope that if a difficult situation like that ever arises in my life, that I would be able to do make the right choice and obey God no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment